BLANKbottle, Pink BOMB 2022

BLANKbottle, Pink BOMB 2022


31 in stock

BLANKbottle, Pink BOMB 2022


31 in stock


Tim Atkin

Tim Atkin is a UK-based Master of Wine (MW) and wine journalist with an international following.

SKU WC111379-2022 Categories ,

A solid 14,5% alcohol Piekenierskloof Grenache noir Rose, please do not judge the wine by it’s alcohol… It is on the high side but the wine is in 100% balance. Fresh as a daisy.

The Story

I am not sure which one of these 2 wines should be crowned “Worst name of all time”, but I would say that our most-popular-story-to-date-wine, “Familiemoord”, is still one short step ahead of “The Pink BOMB”. Today I am not going to tell you the Familiemoord story again (if you haven’t heard it – please click here). But what you might not be aware of is that Familiemoord and The Pink BOMB are in fact relatives, as in REAL family. They both originate from (in my eyes) the most beautiful wine producing area in South Africa. The Piekenierskloof… 235 km drive from my house and +-800m above sea-level. Massively high sun intensity, cool nights, sandstone soils, dry land bush vines – all ingredients for all-time Grenache. The grapes for both these wines hit the winery at the same time and we subsequently hand sort through about 5% of the total intake. These go as whole bunches to the bottom of a tank, packed around the tap forming a kind of filter/sieve. We then take the balance of the grapes, remove the stems and crush the berries allowing the juice to flow freely. As we add the crushed grapes to the tank, we try not to disturb our initial “grapes-whole-bunch-filter”. The purpose of the “filter” is to block the movement of the skins and pips to only allow the clear juice to flow towards the tap. At this point in time, the juice for the 2 wines get split up and journey on much different paths. We allow the free run salmon pink juice, destined for The Pink BOMB, to drain from the tap and pump it into older French oak barrels (this process takes roughly 2 days until 70% of the juice is removed). Fermentation takes place in barrel and the wine is aged on the lees for 10 months before bottling. The remaining 30% of the juice in the original tank as well as the skins and pulp then go through fermentation. During this process, the fibers in the pulp break down and the trapped juice is exposed to the skins. The result: an extracted, perfumy, fine tannin, maximum skin vs juice ratio RED called Familiemoord. Due to the different sugar levels of the free-run juice vs. pulp as well as the difference in fermentation temperature, the 2 wines differ in alcohol with the rosé being slightly higher (hence the name). BUT please note that the Rosé is still fine and delicate. A wine in balance will always be the name of the game.

Technical Information

Cultivar: 100% Grenache Noir

Vintage: 2022

Region: Piekenierskloof

Amount of Bottles Produced: 1379

Vineyard: Single Vineyard 687 m above sea-level, old bush-vine on sandstone soil.

Winemaking: The grapes were picked at optimal ripeness and cooled overnight to 4 degrees celsius. The next morning the grapes were destemmed and crushed to an open top fermenter. As the tank filled we removed/pumped the free run juice into another tank. Spontaneous fermentation in old French oak barrels, aged on the lees for 10 months – blended and bottled.

Alcoholic Strenght: 14,5% / vol

Acidity: 4.51 g/l

PH: 3.62

Reducing Sugar: 1.5 g/l

Free SO2: 31 ppm

Total SO2: 91 ppm

Volatile Acidity: 0.55 g/l

Vegan: Yes

Are you over 18?

We need to make sure you are the proper age before entering this website